Import your project from Gitea to GitLab (FREE)
Import your projects from Gitea to GitLab with minimal effort.
This requires Gitea
v1.0.0 or later.
The Gitea importer can import:
- Repository description
- Git repository data
- Pull requests
When importing, repository public access is retained. If a repository is private in Gitea, it's created as private in GitLab as well.
How it works
Because Gitea isn't an OAuth provider, author/assignee can't be mapped to users in your GitLab instance. This means the project creator (usually the user that started the import process) is set as the author. A reference, however, is kept on the issue about the original Gitea author.
The importer creates any new namespaces (groups) if they don't exist. If the namespace is taken, the repository is imported under the user's namespace that started the import process.
Import your Gitea repositories
The importer page is visible when you create a new project.
Select the Gitea link to start the import authorization process.
Authorize access to your repositories using a personal access token
With this method, you perform a one-off authorization with Gitea to grant GitLab access your repositories:
- Go to
your-gitea-instancewith the host of your Gitea instance).
- Select Generate New Token.
- Enter a token description.
- Select Generate Token.
- Copy the token hash.
- Go back to GitLab and provide the token to the Gitea importer.
- Select List Your Gitea Repositories and wait while GitLab reads your repositories' information. After it's done, GitLab displays the importer page to select the repositories to import.
Select which repositories to import
After you've authorized access to your Gitea repositories, you are redirected to the Gitea importer page.
From there, you can view the import statuses of your Gitea repositories:
- Those that are being imported show a started status.
- Those already successfully imported are green with a done status.
- Those that aren't yet imported have an Import button on the right side of the table.
You also can:
- Import all of your Gitea projects in one go by selecting Import all projects in the upper left corner.
- Filter projects by name. If filter is applied, selecting Import all projects imports only matched projects.
You can also choose a different name for the project and a different namespace, if you have the privileges to do so.